Sunday, April 26, 2009

KS&L 282: Why There is War Part 4: Why do people join the Military?

Why do people join the military? Men and women join the military b ecause of the experience it offers. Even on questionnaires, there is the category for ‘Military Experience,’ as if that type of experience is an exceptionally unique category unto itself.
People join the military for the profound and unique experiences this type of life offers. On a day-to-day basis, military life is seldom about war and always about people. Yes, there are times when certain sectors of the military do prepare for and then actually ‘go to war’, but the vast majority of time is spent in training and preparing to maintain peace. However, if you were to ask someone who is in the military why they joined, perhaps these are some of the answers you would hear and it is important to hear these because perceptions of the military and military people are not always positive among the spiritual community:
I joined for the discipline and experience of being in the military and to use my education.
I wanted to assume more responsibility early and the military gives you responsibility much earlier than th e civilian sector.
I wanted an adventure and I felt that the mil itary would provide that.
I wanted to travel and I knew that the Navy would really enable me to see the world.
I wanted an education and I knew that the Air Force had a program where I could get my degree and at the same time learn a usable skill.
I wanted to see what I was really made of, so I picked the Marines. I have always respected what the Marines stand for and I want to be one of them.
I wanted to get out of the horrible family life I grew up in and have a different experience of order, discipline and the safety of knowing where my next meal would come from. The Army offered me that.
I love my home town, it is such a beautiful fishing village and I wanted to serve my friends and neighbors by being in the Coast Guard and protecting and helping them in times of crisis.
I want to be a doctor, or dentist and the Navy put me through school if I paid them back by giving them eight years of service.
I went to Law School and then couldn’t find a job. The Navy/Army/Air Force hired me immediately. The experience here has been priceless and they paid me for it!
I live in ‘Tornado Alley’ and I joined the Army Air National Guard because one, I love to fly airplanes and they trained me, but two, I really wanted to be able to help my friends and neighbors in times of tornado crisis.
I joined the Navy to find a husband, to be with people who care about and want to serve this country, to have adventures all around the world and to have a retirement.
I joined the Navy Seals because I thought it would be neat t o learn how to do all of those things.
I joined the SeaBees, or Army Corps of Engineers to understand the engineering aspects of moving troops, of building bridges anywhere in the world. The experience here is unlike anywhere else.
I joined to fly fighter jets, to get to play with the coolest toys man has ever made. Can you imagine the rush of aircraft carrier landings and takeoffs? Imagine flying a vertical lift Harrier jet!
The judge told me “either join the Army, son or go to jail.” I joined the Army and it was the best thing that ever happened to me!
I joined EOD [explosive ordinance demolition] so that I could help clear mine fields so small children would not be blown up.
I joined to prove to myself that I have what it takes to be a disciplined person. I joined to learn about myself and in the process I learned about other people.

There are a thousand more reasons, but for this study, you get the idea. In the last of the series, part 5, understanding the military a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment