Sunday, February 3, 2013

The 42 Principles of Ma'at

This information was sent to me by my Biogeometry friend Jim Grapek.

The 42 Principles of Ma'at    ;)


 
Written at least 2,000 years before the Ten Commandments of Moses, the 42 Principles of Ma’at are one of Africa’s, and the world’s, oldest sources of moral and spiritual instruction. Ma’at, the Ancient Egyptian divine Principle of Truth, Justice, and Righteousness, is the foundation of natural and social order and unity.

The word, Maat translates as "that which is straight." it implies anything that is true, ordered, or balanced.

Ma'at is at the heart of understanding Egyptian civilization in its entirety, and is the foundation of its longevity.  It is bound to (and sometimes confused with?) ethics (including justice and truth), with universal order (cosmic order, social order and political order) and with social integration based on communication and confidence.

The foundation of Egyptian cultural identity, Ma'at is the great creation of the thinkers of Ancient Egypt.

1. I honor virtue
2. I benefit without violence
3. I am non-violent
4. I respect the property of others
5. I affirm that all life is sacred
6. I give offerings that are genuine and generous
7. I live in truth
8. I hold sacred those objects that are consecrated to the divine
9. I speak the truth
10. I eat only my fair share
11. I speak words of good intent
12. I relate in peace
13. I honour animals as sacred
14. I can be trusted
15. I care for the Earth
16. I keep my own council
17. I speak positively of others
18. I remain in balance with my emotions
19. I am trustful in my relationships
20. I hold purity in high esteem
21. I spread joy.
22. I do the best I can
23. I communicate with compassion
24. I listen to opposing opinions
25. I create harmony
26. I invoke laughter
27. I am open to love in various forms
28. I am forgiving
29. I am non-abusive
30. I act respectfully of others
31. I am non-judgmental
32. I follow my inner guidance
33. I speak without disturbing others
34. I do good
35. I give blessings
36. I keep the waters pure
37. I speak with optimism
38. I praise truth
39. I am humble
40. I achieve with integrity
41. I advance through my own abilities
42. I embrace the All



No comments:

Post a Comment