Saturday, January 8, 2011

KS&L 338 A Chance Encounter or a Humble Miracle?

In ancient times, people believed in miracles. Today, people believe in science. The irony is that people who do believe in science, frequently believe more in chance than the astounding possibility that a miracle can happen with the intention of the Divine. They reject the concept of synchronicity: everything happens for a reason and in perfect harmony with the Divine. So as you read the story below, decide for yourself: was this a miracle or just a scientific chance encounter?

Recently my daughter and I took a Southwest Airlines flight from San Diego, California to Norfolk Virginia. When we changed planes in Nashville, Tennessee, we had an hour, so we went shopping, which made us a bit late for the ‘A’ boarding section on our flight. This put us farther back in the plane than I prefer, but I figured it must be for some reason. I love sitting by the window, but this time, my daughter asked if she could sit there, which put me in the middle seat.

As we settled ourselves with our belongings, a woman about my age sat down next to me. She seemed a bit agitated, looking nervously around and fidgeting. I said hello. She responded in kind. Then she leaned closer to me and told me that this was only the second time in her whole life that she had ever been on an airplane! She shyly explained that she was quite apprehensive. So, I took her hand and told her that I was going to hold her hand at least as we took off. I explained that I have flown all over the world and that I would be happy to be her ‘security companion’ for this short flight to Norfolk.

As the sturdy, blue and red jet barreled toward the lift off point, I began to distract her by asking her where she was from and why was she flying that night. She said her name was Donna and she was from a small town about forty miles outside of Nashville. Her brother had finally coaxed her away from her tiny, tiny town to visit him in the larger city of Norfolk, Virginia.

When she briefly released my hand, I returned to editing my second book on my laptop computer. While we continued chatting, my daughter was reading my first book. Jeanne Marie was also watching an amazing lightening storm off in the distance, out the window. The lightening dramatically lit up the night sky. I was able to encourage Donna to share in the wonder of watching this glorious storm and not be afraid. I noticed that she was beginning to enjoy the flight.

As we continued talking I learned about how hard her life had been, what disappointments she had suffered and what things brought her great joy. She had lived all of her life in a small town, knew everyone, and all the history. She had always worked in the same place and had raised her children to be good people. She was also worried about her son stationed in Afghanistan. As she shared the special experiential treasures of her many years with me, I began to feel as if I was peeking through the windows of her life. She had been so afraid of taking this leap of faith: of leaving the safety of what she knew and venturing out to experience something different. Yet she was willing to conquer that fear to be with her brother. Then she related how much she missed her Mom who had died many years prior.

I had now figured out how to edit with one hand and continue to hold her hand with my other hand. Clasping her hand seemed to bring her some inner sense of security.

Finally, she asked me if I was writing a book and I explained that it was my second book and that my daughter was reading my first book – and I showed it to her. She gasped!

She seemed astounded to be setting next to an author and of course we began to discuss the elements of The Lightworker’s Guide to Healing Grief. She then shared the grief she was still feeling over the death of her Mother. I explained that frequently, we can send prayers to the beloved ones who have left our mortal lives and ask them to help us with earthly challenges.

This statement virtually unnerved her because at this point she began to cry. She explained that she had prayed to her Mom to help her with this flight. She did not know how she expected her Mom to help her, but she had been making that humble, yet fervent prayer for several days. And then tears began to roll down her face as she suddenly realized that I was the answer to her prayer request to her Mother. I held her hand throughout the rest of the flight. I realized that I was there to distract her from her fear and remind her of her courage and strength as a person. She seemed awed as she realized that her Mother had heard her and truly answered her prayer. I explained that this was why my daughter and I were slightly late in boarding. This was why she [Donna] sat with me, and why she felt so comfortable. She answered that this must be true, because she never shares such intimate details of her life with anyone, much less a stranger.

We decided that the entire encounter was not as much about meeting me, because in this case, I was merely a tool of karma, the designated ‘lightworker’ assigned to help with this person’s prayer. The encounter was really about helping another soul to realize that there is life and love after death. Donna learned that the prayers of the living can be answered by souls on the other side, if we can just believe and trust in our faith in the Divine.

This miraculous experience proved to her that love never dies and that God can use those of us who chose to be that type of spiritual tool - those lightworkers among us – to provide service to any soul in need at any moment.

As our speedy jet lightly touched down in Norfolk, and our ninety-minute flight came to an end, I noticed that Donna was holding my hand, now not out of fear buy out of wonder and gratitude. She told me how wonderful her Mom had been to her, and how much she missed her. She also told me how much this seemingly chance encounter had meant to her.

When we finally parted ways at baggage claim, we hugged for a long time. Two strangers, strangers no more, united by membership in that elite group of souls connected by the miraculous intervention of the Divine. . . . and Southwest Airlines!

No comments:

Post a Comment