Sunday, June 6, 2010

Using Essential Oils for SunScreen

The following information comes from Rainbow Forever Trust [healthy-wealthy@att.net]. Jay sells Young Living Essential Oils, so the products listed are from that company. Some of the other comments are from Jay's down line. I thought that the information was very valuable and worth sharing.

I was just reading in David Stewart's book that Myrrh was used traditionally in Egypt as a sunscreen. It is a mystery oil, because it SHOULD be phototoxic, but it isn't. Instead, it acts as a sunscreen.

I am as white as the snow and burn after just a few moments in the sun. I thought I would lie in the sun for a short period to put some color in my newly shaved head and snow white skin. I fell asleep. An hour and a half later I awoke. I did not feel any pain at first. Then a little while later, the redness appeared and I could tell that I was in for a restless night. I had brought LavaDerm Cooling Mist with me, but had never had a reason to try it. I misted my entire face/head and body where red was
beginning to show. The pain disappeared in a matter of seconds! AMAZING PRODUCT! About an hour later some of the pain started coming back, more LavaDerm; again, the pain subsided. I continued this therapy for a few hours. I slept like a baby. Today I feel nothing. It is as if I was never in the sun at all! Literally! I did get a sun blister on my lip. I have been applying Lavender on it but other than that, what could have been a very painful time for me was not.

I saw so many people on the beach using various tanning products. I have often thought, "Is it really the sun that causes skin cancer or could it be the propylene glycol and other chemical additives found in the numerous sunscreens and tanning lotions/oils?" Think about it. If you were to place
straight antifreeze on the skin and then lie in the sun, what would happen? Nobody would be silly enough to try it, but this is what thousands do daily. LavaDerm, get some for your Summer Vacation! Jay


In Dr.DeVita's book Saving Face she says, "Certain natural vegetable oils and essential oils have been found to provide some protection against the sun. Sesame oil can block or reduce about 30% of the burning rays; coconut and olive oils about 20% and Aloe Vera inhibits about 20%. Helichrysum has been researched for its ability to effectively screen out some of the sun's rays." She gives the following formulas for sun block, and sunscreen lotions. Sun block: Mix 3-6 drops Helichrysum (Helichrysum Italicum) with 100 drops of sesame oil or olive oil. Apply on skin every few hours. Sunscreen: 1 ounce sesame oil, coconut oil or olive oil, 10 drops Helichrysum, 5 drops Lavender and 3 drops Chamomile. Mix and apply. Hope that helps, Wendy

Something to keep in mind when using coconut oil for tanning - remember to wet down your body before applying the oil. Put the oil on only after making the surface of the body wet. The oil needs the water in order to penetrate the skin to the maximum and provide proper protection. I'll bet that most of the folks who are saying that they tried the oil as a suntan
lotion but it did not work, did not put water on their body before applying the coconut oil.

I have had wonderful results with Patchouli. After I wash my face, I use 2-3 drops of Patchouli. In the Higley's it says it may help acne, protects against UV radiation, tightens loose skin, prevents wrinkles, heals chapped skin and so on. My face has never looked better. I receive compliments frequently. Plus, this summer my face never burned in the sun. This is a great oil for both men and women. Enjoying the sun, Barb


. . . and if you don't want to use any oil or sun screen, you can always wear a hat and a long sleeved shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment